Friday 20 January 2012

Groovy Mums

As you know, I take part in KateOnThinIce's Groovy Mums blog hop.

I haven't been too great recently & therefore not much of great meaning has appeared on my blog & I feel sad that I haven't been feeling up to getting groovy. This week is better & so I'll be telling you how I've been getting on with the challenges in just a second!

Firstly though, I just want to say that if you are a mum who has been considering Kate's challenge, or even if you haven't seen the blog hop before but think it might be for you then I would wholly encourage you to go & check it out, maybe try for a week or so. Follow Kate & the girls on Twitter if you fancy a bit of banter (search #groovymums). Everyone who takes part in this blog hop is exceptional. I've never met a nicer group of ladies (though technically I haven't met any of them, I'm sure there's a little irony in there) who are so giving & supporting. Without wishing to sound gushy, the support that these perfect strangers have offered me in the past month has helped immeasurably. There's a whole lotta love & wisdom going on there & though I am guilty of sometimes falling behind with the reading, whenever I do read what these ladies have to say I am never disappointed, in fact I am always filled with emotion by them.

Anyway, vomitousness over. This weeks challenges:


1. Body – How are you sleeping? How can you ensure you get better quality sleep?

I am sleeping terribly. I have had a week of anxiety & bedtime (as well as daytime) tears. I am slightly on the up now but I feel horrendous that most night I can't get to sleep until the wee hours & wake up so late. This isn't fair on my girls & I'm doing what I can, but mostly the anxiety & depression is winning. I hope this changes as I get more support. I bought some chamomile tea this week, but am yet to imbibe, I have also being trying (& mostly failing) to cut down on caffeine. Hopefully now that things are on the up & I should soon be getting some anti-depressants my stresses shan't be so prevalent.

2. Mind – Our children have reward charts and get stickers when they do well? Could you play with this idea and create your own chart or adapt a child’s one

Well, the girls do not have reward charts as it stands, but this has got me thinking that it could be a good idea for eldest (3yo) as she is getting to the stage where she needs a little more structure in her tasks for the day. As for me, my iPhone is my best friend. I have finally worked out how to create a to-do list on my reminders app & am slowly but surely getting there with what i must do, particularly on the better days.

3. Spirit – Is the spirit willing? You can respond to this one in whatever way you see fit.

My spirit sometimes ups & vanishes, but when it's here it's a bit wobbly. As I say, I have good days & bad days. I am looking forward to the weekend, as we are going out & leaving the girls with my parents. Hopefully the, er, spirits (of the alcoholic kind) will return & I shall be merry & dancing!

4. Blog – Have you attended a blogger event? Have you met any bloggers in the flesh? 

Though I haven't met any bloggers in the flesh yet I have booked my ticket for BlogCamp UK! Exciting! The Man, who has his own little blog here was also going to come with me, but he couldn't get a ticket, so I shall be going it alone! Nervous, but very excited for this! Is anyone else reading going??! Kate is also speaking at Brit Mums, I would love to go, but money is the issue with that one, but you never know, if I could blag something...

5. It is the creator of Winnie the Pooh’s birthday this week. So, as a bit of fun, why not work out which Winnie the Pooh character you are most like and why?

Well, A.A. Milne is one of my favourites. Winnie the Pooh books (the proper ones, none of this Disney shite) are my book of choice for reading to the girls & I try my hardest to persuade her that's what we should read! I'd say that a lot of days I feel as Eeyore does, lonely & lethargic but secretly knowing that I have these wonderful creatures who would do anything for me, though I've never lost my tail, or in fact had a tail to lose! Sometimes I feel tiny & worrisome like Piglet, though I think I would most like to be Kanga. A pouch for littlest would be helpful too!

6. The Big Question – How is your sex life? Oh, I know we are not supposed to talk about religion, sex and politics but you know me, I like breaking the rules. So how are things in the bedroom (or your venue of choice)?

Well, I've approached this issue with caution. Caution tells me to be frugal with my words.
Flinging caution to the wind, I would have to be entirely honest & say that sex seven weeks after giving birth is non-existent. For the moment anyway. In fact it has been pretty non-existent for months now & though this is most unlike me, I didn't really mind. Now that I am a little more back to normal let's just say that, looking back, it seems there has been a direct correlation between my low moods & the low amount of bedroom action (which affects which is anyone's guess, however the only way to find this out is to experiment). I plan on being ecstatic in the near future.

Enhanced by Zemanta

6 comments:

  1. I am being very naughty here reading blogs as got too much work to do but couldn't resist taking a peek after seeing your comment on twitter and knowing so far I have been the only one to brave the last question! Need to do some serious catch up on blogs and come to new ones like yours - I am assuming from point 5 you have jst had a new baby so congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should not be so hard on yourself, with a tiny baby in the house you are bound to be tired in normal circumstances, but with depression on top of that its going to take its toll. Try and be kind to yourself and realise that actually you are doing a great job, and whilst you are around the girls won't mind if your not always 100%, just as long as you are there.

    Take Care of yourself this week X

    ReplyDelete
  3. dm or email me about Britmums Live, I may be able to help a bit as things turn out. I would love you to be there for largely selfish reasons (drinking partner, hand-holder, show me how to be a party girl rather late in the day)
    Your post is wonderful as ever and well done on tackling the challenges and I don't mind vomiting when hearing lovely things about myself and the other admittedly rather wonderful #groovymums.
    Loads more to comment really but cuppa of that evil caffeine is calling. So laters for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and good that you could meet the challenges. Hope the tablets kick in soon and you feel a bit more back to your usual self. Kanga's a great character to choose, bouncy and nurturing. Hope you have a lovely weekend and the spirits return lol. Polly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can really empathise with your sleep situation - I am a terrible sleeper these days -I sleep so lightly and anything wakes me up. I can recommend a very good book called 'tired but wired' and the practical suggestions in there have improved my sleep. Have a great time at Blog Camp - I am going to Brit Mums and am rather nervous about it. Please report back and tell us all about your experience at Blog Camp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, it sounds like things have been tough but there has been a glimmer of light recently. I hope it continues/has continued for you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

I may often be pants at replying, but I always love your comments! You've just made my day!