We like to bake. We love to bake! However...finding a spare half an hour when you have a 3 year old child who spends most of her time on the naughty step & a six week old baby who spends most of her time eating, crying or soiling herself can be a little bit tricky.
So, if you are in a similar predicament to me, then you may appreciate my step by step guide to cupcakes.
1. Preparation is key. Firstly get all your ingredients together, place them on a tea towel so as to disguise your mingin' work tops from anyone who may be watching you, for whatever reason.
2. Check that baby is sleeping soundly. Yes? Good.
3. Find child & place in apron (may be trickier than it seems).
4. Make child smile & banish from sucking thumb until finished. Crop out mop in background.
5. Remove gross child-germs from child's hands.
6. Now, at last, baking. Cream together butter & sugar using electric mixer, unless your child, like mine, is scared of electric mixers, hoovers, hand dryers etc.
7. Beat in egg & vanilla essence. ("Awwww I wanted to crack the egg, Mummyyyy...")
8. After ensuing egg-related sulk, gradually stir in the flour.
9. Scoop into cases, taking extra care to avoid child saliva & other bodily fluids contaminating mixture.
10. Bugger, too late.
11. Place on tray & bake in oven for 10 minutes.
12. Meanwhile, give in to child's nagging & allow her to take embarrassing & blurry pictures. Edit these so no one can see your terrible skin.
13. Check buns, realise you are crap at timing & return to oven for a further five minutes.
14. Remove from oven. Perfect buns every time. If not, blame child.